The temporomandibular joint is a hinge that connects your jaw to the temporal bones of your skull, which are in front of each ear. This is what allows you to move your jaw and gives you the ability to talk, chew and yawn. When you have an imbalance in the four pterygoid muscles, it will cause pain known as TMJ.
No one is sure how or why TMJ occurs. Injury to the jaw, the joint, or the muscles of your head and neck have been found to lead to TMJ. Some of the common symptoms of TMJ are:
- A stuck or locking jaw in either the closed or open mouth position.
- A tired feeling in a person’s face.
- Trouble chewing.
- Swelling on the side of your face.
- Issues trying to open your mouth wide.
- Pain or tenderness in the face, jaw, shoulders, and neck.
Your Tampa Chiropractors TMJ Treatment Plan
Your Chiropractor near USF will first ask the follow questions:
- Ask how bad on a scale of 1-10 the pain is that day, at its worst, and at its best.
- Find out if you know how the pain began?
- Ask if you have had any prior surgeries, and to list all current medications that you’re taking.
- Will want to know if anything you have tried to relieve the pain has helped.
- Will want to know if there’s anything that aggravates your pain.
After extensively going through your patient questionnaire and examining your body, Dr. Cobb will proceed to spend 20-25 minutes performing connective tissue release. For TMJ, your Tampa Chiropractor will focus his treatment on the head and neck.
After your Connective Tissue Release therapy, if your Tampa Chiropractor deems you fit for an adjustment, he will do exactly that. However, if Dr. Cobb feels that an adjustment could do more harm than good based on the state your body is in, then he will wait until he feels that you are okay to be adjusted.
If you are currently dealing with TMJ, your Chiropractor near USF, Dr. Cobb, and his staff are here for you Monday, Wednesday, Thursday (9:00-12:00 & 1:30-7:00) and Tuesday and Friday (9:00-1:00).
We also serve: Temple Terrace, USF, Brandon, Riverview, Carolewood, Wesley Chapel, South Tampa, North Tampa, Temple Palms, Thonotosassa